Print This Post Print This Post

Maple Nut Oaties

Posted by  on Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I found these cookies on a food blog, Heather Eats Almond Butter that I read religiously (well besides dining detour). I thought they looked really healthy and sounded great. Plus, all the comments on them said that their husbands LOVED them. Healthy and their husband’s loved them? Sign me up!  I actually have experimented with the recipe a little bit.

However, after reading the comments and making them a few times I decided on two things. One, I think the chocolate hazelnut spread that’s listed below really adds a chocolately richness to the cookie without adding or changing the nutritional content of the cookie. Two, Maple Syrup is expensive and I didn’t want to use 1/2 cup of it every time I made these. So, I use 1/4 cup maple syrup and 1/4 cup homemade applesauce and it comes out PERFECT.
maple nut oaties

Maple Nut Oaties recipe: adapted from Heather Eats Almond Butter

Ingredients

• 1 cup toasted rolled oats.  Toasted in the toaster oven set on 350° for a few minutes.  Watch them as they burn easily.
  • ½  cup all natural peanut butter (However I do ¼ cup peanut butter and ¼ cup of this Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, I kind of think this makes it so much better)
  • ¼ cup maple syrup
  • ¼ cup applesauce
  • 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup sliced or whole almonds
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon

maple nut oaties

Instructions

Preheat oven to 325°.

• Combine all ingredients and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
  • Scoop cookie dough by TBSP onto parchment lined or very lightly greased cookie sheet. You should get 12 cookies out of the mix.
  • Bake 10-12 minutes.
  • Let cool for a minute or so before placing on the cooling rack.

cookies

http://www.DiningDetour.com/wp-content/plugins/sociofluid/images/google_32.png http://www.DiningDetour.com/wp-content/plugins/sociofluid/images/facebook_32.png http://www.DiningDetour.com/wp-content/plugins/sociofluid/images/twitter_32.png

Related posts:

Share a comment, or trackback from your own site.

6 comments

Great first post Laura! These cookies are amazing and we even believe that they are good breakfast cookies. Be sure to check out Laura’s blog http://sayingidoinnewyork.blogspot.com// also in my blogs to follow on the right!

August 24th, 2010 at 12:46 pm
Kate V:

These are really delish! I am about to make them with Almond butter instead of 100% peanut butter like I’ve been doing. Also I think the whole almonds might be better than the sliced, which I’ve been using. You must put them in the fridge after baking b/c they are sooo much better cold.

August 24th, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Yay! My first guest post!!
Excellent point Kate..I should have said that above. These are MUCH better when kept in the refrigerator. I, too, have made them with whole almonds and I think almond butter sounds DE-lish with them! Thanks for letting me guest post kristin!

August 24th, 2010 at 2:26 pm

So glad you enjoyed the Oaties, and yes, maple syrup is so expensive, especially the Grade B. So trying 1/2 applesauce next time, and I bet they are amazing with chocolate hazelnut spread. I must try your version soon! :)

Well…did your husband like them?!?

August 25th, 2010 at 8:30 am
Mom:

You’ve been keeping the “refrigerate after baking” a secret from me! I did not know this but I’l try that next time. And yes, Husband loves them! I eat them for breakfast. Ah hell, who am I kidding, I eat them all day long! They are soooo good!

August 25th, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Glad you found us Heather, let me know what you think of them with those few changes! I’ve gotten a ton of my friends hooked on these because of you! And, YES! Came home one night after making them to my fiance and his brother on the couch, with an empty container next to them!

August 25th, 2010 at 4:10 pm